After gaining my PhD in Chemistry at Oxford University, I trained and qualified as a Chartered Accountant with Coopers and Lybrand (now PricewaterhouseCoopers). After promotion to Audit Manager, I discovered that I preferred being at the sharp end of business so I moved into in industry where I have held various Head of Finance positions for the past 20 years.
For 7 of those years, I co-owned and ran my own company which rented and sold drinking watercoolers to businesses, from its incorporation through to when we sold it to a multinational company. This has given me a wealth of experience in making strategic decisions from both a financial and operational perspective.
I now offer that expertise to companies that do not want to employ a full-time Financial Director, so amongst other things I can:
- Prepare management accounts and discuss their implications going forward
- Produce statutory accounts with accountants sign off if necessary
- Prepare forecasts/rolling budgets for internal business use or to raise funding
- Conduct business reviews to identify areas for improved profitability or efficiency
- Help you take the next step in growing your business
- Evaluate accounting software and train your team to use it
- Act as a sounding board for business decisions and run figures to check they are financially sound
Outside of work I compete my two horses in dressage at National Level and last year achieved one of dreams by representing Great Britain.